World Relief & Thanksgiving Sunday
"Blessing Out Of Brokenness"
(I Samuel 1-3)
Pastor Rick Sams
SERMON IN A SENTENCE: Brokenness is often the last thing we want, but the first thing we need. Brokenness is often the pathway to blessedness.
CALL TO WORSHIP: Matthew 5:3-6
SERMON STUDY QUESTIONS:
A. A Thanksgiving, Life-Giving Prescription (not your USUAL list)
1. Try thanking God for something you’ve never thanked Him for before (2 Cor 12:7-12).
2. Thank Him for something you still have, instead of what has been taken away (Jb 2:10; 13:15;
1 Sam 30:1-6).
3. Thank God for something you’ve often seen as a curse; something hard (Dt 23:5; Joel 2:25;
4. Thank Him for something He’s given or done for OTHERS (even enemies? Lk 6:27-31; 2 Cor
9:11-15; I Thes 1:2; Phil 1:3-6)).
5. Thank Him for something you believe He’s GOING to do because He’s promised it in His Word
(I Jn 5:14-15).
6. Thank God for someone you’ve never thanked Him for. Then thank them directly (I Thes 1:2-
10; 2 Thes 1:3-7).
7. Thank Him for a characteristic of His you haven’t thanked Him for in a long while (i.e. His
“delight” in you; Zeph 3:17; Isa 65:18-19).
8. Thank Him for who you are becoming, and not who you were yesterday; and that you could not
be moving in that direction without His Spirit’s empowering IN you.
9. Thank Him for His Word, the Bible. Now show your gratitude by reading it regularly (Josh 1:8;
Psa 119:9-11; 105; 2 Tim 3:16-17).
10. Thank God for the joy of your salvation (Ps 51:12), for Jesus and His sacrifice that made that
11. Thank Him for His guiding, indwelling, empowering Holy Spirit (Jn 14:17; Rom 8:5-6).
12. Thank Him right in the middle of adversity (Rom 8:28).
13. Give thanks that are opposite your feelings; it’s a “sacrifice of praise” (Heb 13:15-16)
14. Journal your thankfulness, your blessings. Name them one by one.
15. Give thanks in one-word testimonies.
16. Give Him thanks first thing every morning (I Chr 23:30; Lam 3:23-24).
17. Carry thank you notes and give them to the (little) people you cross paths with daily (Mt
18. Thank Him for who you are and for who you did NOT become by His grace (2 Cor 3:17-18).
19. Thank Him for someone who’s helped you instead of griping about someone who’s hurt you.
B. Often the first step to experience God’s presence, power and peace is to be like Hannah, broken. She was…
… Broken, but not bitter.
… Humbled but not humiliated.
… Helpless, but not hopeless.
C. Rate yourself on each. Decide now how you will praise & thank as an act of a Spirit-empowered will in the midst of all this? Decide now how you need to fall at the feet of Jesus again or for the first time.