Memorial Day Sermon
"Our Main Task"
Pastor Rick Sams
SERMON IN A SENTENCE (S.I.S.): When life’s big problems & questions lie in front of us “Our main task is not to do what lies dimly in the distance, but what lies clearly at hand.” Jesus will always show us the next step. Do you have the courage, conviction & character to take it?
CALL TO WORSHIP: “Your love, God, is my song; and I’ll sing it! I’m FOREVER telling EVERYONE how faithful you are. I’ll NEVER QUIT TELLING the story of your love…Your love has always been our lives’ foundation…” (The Message). “If I be lifted up I will draw all men to myself” (John 12:32) --Jesus
1. Name some veterans you will personally thank. Pray for some active service personnel and veterans that you will pray for by name for a period of time. Our church’s Prayer & praise sheet provides some names of active military from our church.
2. Go over the Sermon In A Sentence. What step is Jesus laying out for you that you don’t want to take? Answer the questions in the S.I.S.
3. What is the H.A.L.T.S. acrostic? Are any of these setting you up for a fall? What are some other things that make you vulnerable?
4. Rate yourself 1-10 on how well you do with the Psalm 89:1-3 challenge: “Your love, God, is my song; and I’ll sing it! I’m FOREVER telling EVERYONE how faithful you are. I’ll NEVER QUIT TELLING the story of your love…Your love has always been our lives’ foundation…” (The Message).
5. What do you want on your tombstone? Andrew’s might have had “Always taking/pointing someone to Jesus” (Jn 12:32).
6. Do you need to pray this painfully honest prayer of the sad dad in Mk 9:24? “Lord, I believe. Help my unbelief.” Why not here & now?
7. Fill in the name of someone(s) in your life might need pointed to Jesus (Jn 1:41; 6:8; 12:30-32)? Or RELEASED to Jesus? __________________
8. How will you do that? When? Pray and plan now some things you can say or do.